Sunday, April 21, 2013

Mini-Vacation

Sorry for taking so long to post this! I haven't been in the writing mood lately, unless it's in the form of Facebook statuses :-|.

Ah, where to begin. Things were so different this time. Everyone is now a grown-up. Which means they can't go clubbing every night.  In the olden days this was acceptable because they had a late class the next day (or they don't plan on going). Adult life. Sigh...

First meal in Dubai!
Shawerma and Salad
I was so excited when I got there. It felt surreal. I had been waiting to come back for so long, that I felt like I was dreaming, even after I got off the plane. It didn't feel real until I got to my Cali girl's place in the marina. She had dinner ready for me and it was so very tasty! After coming home to a meal like that, I didn't want to come back to the States.

My second day was odd. I went to AUD to use the internet because I blew my friend's fuse. I have a business now and I really had to access my email. Anywho, I went to AUD, went to the library and the I went to the career fair. My friend had a booth there so I stopped by to say Hi. 

After that, I went to dinner Zatar Wa Zeit at Jumeriah Beach Residence with my Emirati friend. I had this chicken dish that I always get. We had a really good conversation. I love talking to people. I like hearing their perspectives on certain issues. I think this should be my career: talking to people.

Sheeshaing at Reem al Bawadi
After dinner I went back home, I think.Then I went to Radison Blu right across from AUD to meet with a Clinton Scholar that I had met over Facebook. She asked me about applying to AUD in September and ended up getting the scholarship! I met her at Raddy, along with all the other study abroads. It was nice to see what a family the current study abroads had become.

I am trying to stick to my timeline as much as possible, but if there are errors, forgive me.

I went to a fashion show at Armani one night, and I had fun (my first fashion show), but all the clothes looked  like pajamas. We were going to go to a club afterwards, but I wasn't dressed slutty enough and I had on flats so I couldn't get into the club that my friend wanted to go to. We ended up going Barasti were I finally tried sheesha! Yes, that's right. I am officially a sheesha-head. I smoked everyday for the rest of my trip. I tried as many flavors as I could, but still have about a half a dozen left. My favorite flavor is orange!

I went to a villa party at Palm Jumeirah one night and it was live! We had sheesha, drinks and music. I actually had more fun there than I had at XL Club's two-year anniversary later on that night. I wasn't feeling the music so I ended up going home "early."

The wrap I bought to gain admission into global  village
The next night, I tried to go out, but it didn't happen. The night after that, I went to People, my favorite club in Dubai, but I ended up not being able to get in because I didn't have a table (ugh).

The next day, I went to the beach. I love the beach! If they had a real beach in Cincinnati, I could just stay here. Anyway, I was there for a couple of hours, and had some snacks. It was great. The only problem was getting a cab back home. I waited about 30 minutes, and then I still had to take a private cab to get home. It was soooo hot! My delicate Northern skin couldn't take it. Thank god for air conditioning!

Later on, we went to Global Village and I almost couldn't get in because my dress was too short. I had fun
though. I went the last time I was there, but this time I was with a local and I ended up trying more new things.

My only meal from Burger Fuel
After that, we did sheesha at Iran Zamin for a couple of hours. Then I set out to a club called Zinc. It was amazing!!! It was a hole in the wall club (haha) with the type of music I like listening to and the people there were actually dancing/had dancing abilities. I loved it!

I think the biggest difference with my trip is that my other Cali girl wasn't there. I had no one to car watch at JBR with me. No one to make me go to Burger Fuel. It was very different without her. All in all, I had a good trip, tried a lot of new things and am very grateful to have been to Dubai twice, when many Americans never leave the country.

Right now, I am back to work and adjusting to "normal life" has been difficult, but those in Cincinnati that I love have made my transition easier. I like my life right now and I know my future is bright!




No comments:

Post a Comment