Saturday, September 24, 2011

Robin Hood

This week was great. There was a carnival yesterday (9/21), and I sumo-wrestled twice. I wish I could say I was undefeated, but you win some and you lose some. The matches only lasted five minutes, but being that heavy makes you tired. Also, we were in the dessert so it was hot! I had fun though.

After the carnival, we stopped by the Radisson Hotel to surprise my fellow Texan who was celebrating his birthday. I stayed for an about an hour. I missed my study abroad family. My Swiss friend was looking very sharp.
Afterwards, I went home to continue my diligent job search. I am searching for accounting jobs in Cincinnati, Miami, and Dubai. I still have no idea where I’ll be come January. We’ll see…

The government of UAE is completely different than that of the U.S. The government has a lot more control, and freedom of speech does not exist. That being said, I cannot always say exactly what I want to say while I am here.

I just think that it is very hard to teach children certain values when you have a lot of money. You have to make sure that you do not spoil them too much and that they do not have a sense of entitlement. That they do not think they deserve something just because their dad is so-and-so.

I have thought this for a while now and I am meeting certain people that are confirming my beliefs. I’m not saying all rich people are snobby and don’t follow the rules. I am saying that the parents have to take extra care in raising them so that their moral (not even religious, just moral) values will be upheld.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for saying that about the rich and values. I don't wanna get your blog in trouble, so let me put it like this:

    I am extremely grateful to be born in a country with human rights; where the cashier has as much authority as the guys standing in line, whether those in line are living on welfare or are millionaires. I am also grateful to be born in a country where millionaires stand in line.

    "Human Rights" and viewing others as humans (and not objects) seems to be something that the individual needs to be raised with in broader society. The more time I spend in countries outside the US, the more I am grateful to my culture.

    I don't know what your religious beliefs are, but my time in Dubai gave me a very clear-cut insight into Christianity, how and why it formed, and why it was so deeply embraced by Rome's populace. Jesus Christ's words have taken on a whole new meaning in my mind, and I haven't forgotten this lesson yet.

    Not trying to proselytize, but I'm wondering if you have had similar insights? All the best; watch out for the sociopaths.

    ReplyDelete