Friday, September 30, 2011

Dubai Life

The tour guide, Waleed
This week I actually got to enjoy the culture of Dubai. My Cali friend and I went to visit the Sheikh Mohammed Cultural Center on Friday. We got a tour of Bastikiya, one of the oldest traditional Emirati neighborhoods. The tour featured a mosque, houses, and a coin museum. Afterwards, we drank tea with a local, and got to ask him questions. The Q and A session ended up being 2 hours. It was very informative and we debated a lot. There were Australians in our tour group, and they were very belligerent at times, and were definitely not open-minded. I felt sorry for the poor tour guide.
Me in my loaned abaya


Afterwards, we ate shawarma and took a dhow boat on the creek in Bur Dubai. We were going to visit Burj al Arab after that, but were too tired due to lack of sleep (the tour started at 9:30 am). So we went back to the dorms, and after a long nap, I did laundry and homework.

view from dhow boat

Tuesday night I went bowling, to the 
movies, and to the beach. What a night! It’s been awhile since I’ve been bowling, so that was interesting. At the movies I went to see The Debt. That was a good movie. Then a laid on the beach for hours…Tomorrow I’m supposed to be going to a beach party in Abu Dhabi. Ahhh Dubai life!

1 comment:

  1. Burj Al Arab is already a name of its own. It has become a landmark in Dubai too. You can't miss it if you are there.


    property shop investment

    ReplyDelete