Saturday, May 26, 2012

Post-graduation. I’m happy……sort of.


 Toni (Cincinnati girl) and & I at Club Lunar in January

So what have I been up to? Let’s see…. I shaved more than half my hair off, I’ve been spending time with family and friends, and…..I FOUND A JOB!!!! I started working for the State of Ohio mid-February, as an auditor. I had my first interview in Columbus in August before I left. I called them when I returned, and they interviewed me again in January.

I really like it here. Working for the government has its perks (no, not $800,000 parties in Vegas). Unlike some of my fellow alumni who are killing themselves working 55-70 hours a week during busy season, I am restricted to working 40 hours a week, with flex-time. It’s a nice work-life balance. Yes, I do make less than corporate or public accountants, but I think it’s worth it.

I also get to explore the surrounding areas. I audit local government agencies in Butler and Hamilton Counties. I’ve been going to places I’ve never even heard of. So far, my clients have been nice. I really can’t complain.

Due to studying for the CPA Exam, I do not have a life. I am even more restricted than I was before I graduated. From work, I go straight to the gym and straight to the library (or home; I hate the library). I am studying with Becker’s review course. Becker recommends studying 26-30 hours a week. This requires staying home on the weekends. I have so much more energy then, which makes it easier to study.

Kapppa boat party in May-my last outing until Halloween


It’s really hard to say no to people when they ask me to do fun things L. I am so stressed because the pass rate for all four parts of the exam is less than 50%. I cannot afford to fail. Failing would mean that I not only wasted my time, but also my money (on exam fees). So I am forced to stay in seclusion until the end of October (hopefully I’ll pass them all by then).

Enough boring accounting talk! I’m moving out in 35 days! YAY!!!!!!! OMG, I’m so HAPPY! I’m moving to a city called Springdale, Ohio. It’s about 15 minutes from where I live now. I’ve been looking for an apartment since March. I feel a lot better now that I’ve signed my lease. It’s like a weight was lifted off my shoulders.

I’ve decided to attend my graduation. I will be attending the Tyehimba graduation on June 8th. I cannot wait! Maybe I’ll post some pictures later.

I still talk to my Cali girls. One is in Paris, studying abroad. The other is back in LA(Congratulations and happy b-day!). Could they be any further from meL? We communicate sporadically. Every time I get a message or email from them, it brightens up my day. I remember the times that we once shared, the adventures, and the dreams. The Parisian (haha) made a video of our Dubai adventures. It is a keepsake that I will cherish forever. Thanks Miss Butterfly!

I’m at the beginning of my career and the beginning of my life. The possibilities are endless. After meeting Former President Clinton, I really feel like I can do anything. Certain issues have come to light, thanks to the Parisian, and I will work hard to not only better myself, but to also make a positive change in my community, wherever that may be (hopefully Miami). One of my biggest goals right now is to meet President Obama. I do not have any idea how I’m going to do this, but I have a dream….



Obviously, if you think you can do it, who’s to tell you, you can't. – Dwayne Michael Carter, Jr.

P.S. My short-term goals are learning how to play a second instrument (piano or harp) & learning a second language (Arabic, duh!).

2 comments:

  1. I randomly came across your blog re dubai. I love it! Shame we couldn't have crossed paths when u were here, thanks for the information and entertainment!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll be coming back in a couple of months! Let me know if you'd like to meet up.

    ReplyDelete