Sunday, November 20, 2011

Black Hair


For those of you who know nothing about Afro-American hair, it’s time for me to educate you. I highly recommend seeing the movie Good Hair if you haven’t already done so.

Taking care of my hair is one of the biggest worries I had about studying in the Middle East. A lot of people recommended I wear braids but I knew I couldn’t keep braids or micros up for 16 weeks, given the amount I sweat. I also wanted to wear my hair down so it could breathe.

My hair is not its natural texture. I get relaxers. In the movie Good Hair, a relaxer is referred to as “creamy crack”. This is because the relaxer makes your hair straight, but every 6-8 weeks, you have to get a retouch at your scalp. This means you are a slave to the relaxer because you have to keep coming back.

When you are ready to go back to wearing a natural hairstyle, you have two choices: cut your hair off or let it grow out. Many choose to cut their hair off, because once the hair is relaxed, it never comes out. If you choose to grow your hair all the way out, it will look silly, because the bottom part of your hair will be straight.

Anyway, one of my friends who grew up here (Hey Kanika!) told me that they had black hair salons so I figured I had nothing to worry about. When I get here I realized that they didn't sell Afro-hair products at Carrefour there were no outlets in the bathroom, so I decided to buy a hooded dryer. I went to Deira (30 minutes away) the second week to buy a dryer and hair supplies (i.e. a relaxer). When I got to Deira, the only hooded dryer they had was $100. Since I was only going to be here three months, I decided not to get one.

I also have to go to Deira to get the relaxer put in my hair. I went once already, and it was an interesting experience. All the other salons only do Brasilian and Keratin relaxers. They cost about $120, but they last up to for months, instead of up to 2 months. I’m afraid to get one because I haven’t done enough research into it. I don’t know who to go to do mine, etc.

So here’s the process I go through for my relaxer.
1.Trip to Deira to get relaxer.
2. AUD salon for a trim and style.

The relaxers are done by Africans who are not licensed beauticians, so I go to AUD to get my hair trimmed. It is time for a relaxer again. My hair is getting to the point where I can’t comb it, yet I don’t feel like going all the way to Deira. I’ve asked around and there is a placed called Afro-Salon in Bursha. It’s about ten minutes away.

Looks like I'm starting my own business in Dubai: a hair salon.
This post is getting a little long so I'll write you soon. More on my Dubai relaxer journey coming soon!


10 comments:

  1. Hey! I've enjoyed your post...
    I'm a black girl in Dubai too and I share and understand this situation very well...
    Most of my trips back to the UK are to stock up on hair products...
    Youtube has been a lifesaver, as i've learnt how to take care of my hair, which saves me time and money, but more so, i see better results!!! I would be quite keen to catch up with you for tips of where you've found products here in Dubai!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Ladies, I am in the same boat. Having been ti Dubai before, I guess I never thought to "Where do I buy stuff for my hair". Anyway, if you ladies have had any luck please feel free to hit me up on Twitter or this post. @skydowning.

      Delete
    2. Hi Ladies,
      I've had the same issues with hair here in Dubai but I've found a great shop in Bur Dubai, on Khalid Bin Al Waleed Rd near Al Fahidi metro station that sells a wide range of products for afro hair. It's called Buniyad Hair Care (04 351 5512). They have another branch in Bur Dubai near the Gold Souk but that one's a bit tricky to find as I've been there a couple of times but I still get lost going there. You can view some of the products that they stock at www.buland2trading.com, they also stock ApHogee and ORS products now.
      Hope this was of some help.

      Delete
  2. Visited Dubai twice in the past year for a week each time, I love it there, just blogged about it actually.

    Thanks for reminding me, I need to watch 'Good Hair' to support my dissertation!

    Best of luck on your hair journey girls.

    Yemzi x
    facebook.com/officialyemzi
    twitter.com/officialyemzi

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, I came across your blog while doing research. Could you please let me know the store in Deira where you found the hooded dryer at $100. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Anna,

    It was a year ago that I looked for the dryer, so I apologize, but I do not remember.There aren't that many hairstores I Deira, so it only took me about ten minutes to find it. I am back in the states now. Maybe Ingrid can help?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Omolara McCloud ,

    Very Good article I’m impressed,its very useful to online users.We also providing the same services like Best Hair Salons In Dubai Edaleel offers UAE nationals, residents and visitors useful information on health, wellness and beauty facilities locally and internationally.
    Regards,
    edaleel.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have a very excellent uncanny feeling I discovered just what I needed. hair dryer dubai

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice blog - here is a professional Afro Hair salon in Dubai - 9 years old! And we speak English (not Amharic)
    https://www.facebook.com/AfricanSaloninDubai

    ReplyDelete
  8. I had great experience in hair spa in dubai. it was a great spa.i took a hair keratin treatment from azur spa.

    ReplyDelete