Monday, October 10, 2011

The Culture of Dubai

So I didn’t go to the beach party two weekends ago because my friend and I were sleeping and missed our ride. I was tired so I didn’t mind. I wasn’t in the mood for staying up all night. Have you noticed I haven’t done anything on my “things to do” list? Last Thursday we were supposed go to iFly, but it wasn’t properly planned, so we ended up going to Chili’s. This weekend we are supposed to do a desert safari. I hope it works out.

Friday I was supposed to go jet skiing in Sharjah, but my friend’s car broke down when we were almost there so I just said we’ll go another day. They wanted to rent a car, but the rental places are closed on Friday. Sunday I had a paper due and today I have an exam. Even though my earliest class is at 3pm, I’m beginning to feel overwhelmed.

I’m trying to plan a trip during Eid al Adha, with my 1st Cali friend. We’re off Nov 3rd to the 10th, and my birthday is the 8th. We are trying to get a hotel deal on Groupon or Cobone. We’ll see. We need to book our flight very soon.
Hosts of the Women's Cultural Exchange

Last night my 1st Cali friend and my New Jersey friend held a women’s cultural exchange in the girl’s dorm. It was at 6 pm, and I have class at six (boy I hate that class), so I caught the tail end of it. I thought it was going to be about every culture there but it really about Middle East, vs America. Nevertheless, we had a good conversation.

I brought up racism, which is taboo here. I was warned about before I got here by previous study abroad students, so it wasn’t a surprise.  The surprising part is that it’s completely out in the open. It’ s not hidden like it is in America. There is a class system here. First they judge you by where you’re from. Then they judge you by skin color. (Check out Holly's post on racism)

For example, a Filipino or Pakistani person will make less than an American or British person who will make less than a local. If you don’t believe me go to dubizzle.com and look at their job ads. Salaries are posted on the adds, and jobs that are for Filipino are around 3000 AED/month (800USD).

I think that since I’m light skinned and have an American accent, I will not be as singled out as other blacks here that I know. I am the only African American study abroad student, and there is only one other African American student here.  People can tell that I’m American by my accent and, once people see that I’m American, I am automatically in their favor. I do not like this at all.  I believe in equality, no matter where you’re from or what you do.

A lot of people here emulate American styles. It’s as if they wish they were American. After the discussion yesterday, a friend of mine said there is no culture here. I said, how is there no culture here? I am still blinded by the black abayas even though they are worn with Louis Vutton bags and four-inch stilettos. My friend brought up the fact that many people here are just temporary workers, and even the people that are born here, and grew up here, still feel like they don’t belong because they’ll never get citizenship. Also, it seems that many of the people that do have citizenship here wish they had citizenship of another country (America).  It now makes sense to me why someone would say Dubai has no culture.

When I first got here, I noticed that people identify where they are from by their heritage, and not by where they grew up/were born. For example, I know someone that’s from Saudi Arabia, but says he’s from Jordan because that’s where his parents are from. In America, if you ask someone where they're from, they will say where they grew up, unless they’re an immigrant. It’s the total opposite here. So when people ask me where I’m from I say America, then they say where are you from originally, I say Africa somewhere….But that is another discussion that is perhaps not meant for this blog…

7 comments:

  1. Hi there,

    Glad you brought up this topic--it's so true!! You are judged solely by your national origin, according to very broad stereotypes.

    I have Dubaian friends who identify as American (despite the fact that they're from Arab countries) and I think they're sickeningly ridiculous. To one, being "American" means showing a lot of skin and living "large". She tried to tell me she had an "American soul". Ha.

    To another, being American apparently means getting all the cultural references in movies. Despite his understanding of exported American culture, he doesn't know what a bake sale is and proudly calls himself a racist. Not very American.

    It's one of the things that sickens me about how our culture has been misappropriated; funny, but I was never asked "where I was from originally" as an American, despite the fact that I am an immigrant as much as you.

    I bet they'd have asked me that, though, if I had been a Native American. Lol.

    ReplyDelete
  2. HRT,

    Thanks for commenting. I didn't want people to think I was making things up! Before I came here, I was glad and proud to be American. It seemed to me that America was the greatest country in the world. I thought that it was just because I was American that I thought this way.

    It's amazing that the people here are emulating the negative aspects of America. What are they watching on tv?! I would love to go to other Western countries to see how they view America. I would think they would have an opposite view, but IDK.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Other Western countries despise America; I can tell you this as someone who has traveled across most of Europe.

    In the Middle East, most people started raving about America when I told them I was American. Unfortunately, you are correct; they emulate the negative aspects of our culture. The real American values like equality and speaking out against injustice are often completely overlooked in the mad scramble for material acquisitions.

    Our country has a lot of problems, but at core, I feel like the US has a great gift to share with the world which is often overlooked by the East and West alike.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just FYI, while I was there I saw several movies where American soldiers beat the crap out of Vietnamese villagers, Sex in the City, and several truly trashy movies that honestly mortified me as a US citizen. Also Doctor Phil. I didn't see Spongebob, Fahrenheit 911, or any other innocent or thoughtful American entertainment.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad you're having fun in Dubai!!
    I am still in Egypt until later this winter...
    I loved your post about the time difference, no one understands it until they live it :(
    it is a real pain not to be able to talk to one's family while both sides are in what I call a "happy" mood as usually when we talk either I'm sleepy or they are sleepy :))) only days that used to work for us both were Saturdays :))
    hope you can make it to Cairo for a bit and I'll ask around for costs :)) keep posting, loving it :))
    oh btw this is Nourtan :))

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nourtan,

    I thought that was you! I'm trying to go to Luxor during Eid. The flights are a lot cheaper. My friend my not be able to afford it. She had an unexpected expense and we're waiting to see if her scholarship will cover it. Maybe I'll see you during Eid, inshAllah.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nourtan,

    I don't think I'm going to make it to Egypt . Dubai is expensive, and my money is going like hot cakes! I know I'll go one day. Hopefully I'll go next year. It can be my graduation present. Maybe I can even take my Mom with me!

    ReplyDelete