Friday, October 28, 2011

Drinking Is So Funny


I am writing this post in haste, so I apologize if there are any grammatical errors. I’m going to a friend’s house for dinner before I go to a Halloween party. It’s at Nassimi beach. I told her I was coming before I found out that the party is free before 8 (it’s 6:29). Oops! I cancelled on her yesterday, so I don’t want to cancel two times in a row.

I haven’t had much sleep this week because of three exams. So last night, I just went to sleep and got some laundry done. Tomorrow is the desert safari, and Sunday back to school, ugh.

It was an interesting experience shopping for a costume. Ill tell you about it later. Right now, I’d like to talk about something that I’ve been thinking about since my last post.

My father reads my blog, and he was worried about me when I talked about going to Buddha Bar. He forgot one very important detail: I DON’T DRINK. I never have. I don’t smoke either. It’s rare for American college students to not drink, so here when I say I don’t drink, they assume I’m a Muslim.

I am not a Muslim, and I don’t think there’s anything morally wrong with drinking. I just think it distorts your behavior, and I’d like to live a long, healthy life. Same reason why I don’t smoke. It’s extremely unhealthy.

People smoke so much here that my lungs are getting enough. They smoke at school. They smoke in clubs and bars. It’s horrible! My German friend told me they smoke even more in Germany than they do here. For some reason, I thought Americans smoked the most. Boy, was I wrong!

Anyway, up until now, I’ve been really skeptical about going to bars and clubs. I have a fear of vomit. I know that sounds silly, but every time I see a movie where there’s drinking, someone vomits (yes, I know you shouldn’t judge things by what you see in the movies). Nevertheless, drunk people are soooo funny. It’s fun to watch how people are before they start drinking, and how they gradually, and gradually, get crazier.

Bars and clubs are also a good place to meet people. There’s a culture here at school that I’m not really into. More on that later. It’s more likely for someone to approach me at a bar, than at the mall or the movies, and I am looking for a job...

1 comment:

  1. Wow Lara,

    The more I read of your blog, the more I relive my experience in Dubai. The things your write are very much in line with what I thought during my time there.

    Keep up your healthy habits.

    ReplyDelete