Friday, October 14, 2011

I’ll Never Get Used to the Stares…

The ratio of men to women here extremely is unbalanced. Taxi drivers are men, construction workers are men…. You get the jist. A lot of the workers here left their wife and kids at home. So when they see a woman, they stare at her like a pack of dogs. I do not understand it. I could understand if they were in jail and it was the first time they’ve seen a woman in ten years, but it’s not. They see women all the time. It’s annoying. When you look back at them, they don’t try to hide it. They continue to stare. How rude!
My Mom and I

I miss my parents. This eight-hour time difference is killing me.  When I wake up it’s too late at night to call my parents and when it’s late enough to call them, I’m in class. By the time my Mom gets home from work, it’s late here and I’m sleep or my roommate is sleep and either way I cant talk. We have to schedule our phone calls, and sometimes I forget (I feel so bad). Anyway, I miss you Mom and Dad. Love you! Darn this eight-hour time difference!

AUD has many IT problems. When I first arrived, the internet was down for a couple of days.  The past couple of weeks, gmail hasn’t been working, and AUD’s email server uses gmail. Luckily, I can access it on my cell. Otherwise, I would have been screwed. Today, the only sites that were working were Facebook, and gmail. Anything else had an error saying, “ Site blocked. Webfilter is unable to rate the page. Access not allowed.” Ahh, Dubai.

No desert safari. It has been rescheduled for next week. On a positive note, I have found someone who is willing to go skiing with me. Yay!  Today I decided to rest, so I’m not going anywhere. I also spent too much money on food this week, so saying home will ensure that no extra money will be spent. It’s hard to stay home when people keep asking you to go places but, oh well. That’s what I get for over-spending.

1 comment:

  1. Wow, I never noticed the guys staring at me in Dubai, even after everyone else told me that would happen. I have powers of invisibility, though.

    Just a word of warning, don't go to China...there, even I got stared at!

    ReplyDelete